Attack On The Capitol

On January 6, supporters of President Trump stormed the United States Capitol causing mass destruction and chaos. Throughout the day, there were chants screamed, doors busted down, windows broken, shots fired, injured police officers and five civilians dead. 

Starting the night of January 5, many people boarded flights and booked hotel rooms, making arrangements to stay in the District of Columbia to protest the next day. At 10:00 am on January 6, President Trump participated in the beginning rally, giving a speech that encouraged his supporters to protest. ”And after this, we’re going to walk down there, and I’ll be there with you, we’re going to walk down … to the Capitol and we are going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women,” stated President Trump.

Around 1:00 that afternoon, protestors started to make their way towards the Capitol building, where the US Senate and House of Representatives members were meeting to finalize the electoral votes. 10 minutes later, the supporters of the president started making their way up the steps of the capitol. They also used ropes to climb walls towards the entrance where they clashed with Capitol Police. At around 1:30, they had officially made their way inside, and the building went on lockdown to protect the congressmen and women who were still inside.

According to USA Today, at about 1:46 in the afternoon, “Rep. Elaine Luria, D-Va., tweets she is being evacuated after reports of a pipe bomb outside. ‘Supporters of the President are trying to force their way into the Capitol and I can hear what sounds like multiple gunshots.’” An hour later, some rioters made their way into the chamber where they stole furniture and vandalized federal property.

 At around 3:30, WUSA Channel 9 reported that the doors to the Senate floor had been busted down and the supporters of the president were making their way onto the floor.  A few minutes later, CBS and other news sources started reporting that Ashli Babbitt, 35, was shot in the neck by Capitol Police and was in critical condition; she later died. Kevin Greeson, 55, Benjamin Philips, 50, and Rosanne Boyland, 34, also died, but from personal medical complications. 

Three hours after the Capitol was stormed, President Trump released a statement once again falsely claiming voter fraud. “I know your pain. I know you’re hurt. We had an election that was stolen from us. It was a landslide election and everyone knows it, especially the other side. But you have to go home now. We have to have peace. We have to have law and order. …  So go home. We love you, you’re very special. … I know how you feel. But go home and go home in peace.” 

On January 8, two days after the event,  it was reported that Capitol Police Officer, Brian Sicknick, had succumbed to the injuries he received while fighting off the mob of Trump supporters that were inside the Capitol. Over 60 civilians have since been arrested.

For a look at a timeline of the riot, click here:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s